Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: A Risk When Camping

The dangers of camping are not always apparent. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a significant risk when there isn’t proper ventilation, and it can happen without anyone ever noticing due to the lack of symptoms giving any indication that something is wrong until much later on in time.

The tragic deaths of children during camping trips have left parents and families devastated.

you can’t see Carbon oxide, you cannot smell Carbon oxide, and you cannot taste Carbon oxide

There is a general awareness of Carbon oxide with gas appliances but little known about BBQs, which often cause many deaths at camping events. Many people use disposable grills meant for indoor cooking and take them to outdoor areas where they don’t know the dangers that could arise from using these unreliable sources of heat.

Burning charcoal in a barbecue is one of the most common and top-rated ways to cook food, but it can also be deadly. Carbon oxide from BBQs creeps up on you while you sleep when they hug your porch after being used hours before.

Good Advice

The Camping and Caravanning Club published some truly good advice on how to pack for your next camping trip.

The Camping & Caravanning Club has really been a lifesaver when it comes to packing my “essentials” before heading off into the wilderness with nothing but nature as far as the eye can see. They have compiled an extensive list of supplies from bug spray, sunscreen, first aid kit, stove (or campfire), cooking utensils, and pots/pans – plus tents!

  • Never take a barbeque into a tent, awning, caravan, or motor home.
  • Never use a fuel-burning appliance in your tent or cabin.
  • For the health and safety of others, always keep generators outside.
  • Don’t cook inside your tent or awning.
  • Burning any type of fuel inside a tent or shelter will be dangerous for you and the other people at your party.
  • Don’t rely on a carbon monoxide (CO) detector to keep you safe in a tent or awning.

Sad News

We need to take this Serious.

  • This is not health and safety gone mad, or a scare tactic; it’s the real deal.
  • On a Shropshire campsite, the family of five all failed to wake up in the morning. One daughter had passed away from CO poisoning by an unsecured BBQ that was located right outside their tent.
  • Barbecue fumes can be lethal – a six-year-old girl died from CO poisoning at a Hampshire campsite. The parents woke campers in the middle of the night, calling for help as their daughter started having fits; she couldn’t be saved. They were initially arrested on suspicion of murder but later released when police determined that it was not intentional and they had been using disposable BBQs which are known to have caused similar deaths before.
  • A 45-year-old man was found dead in a camping pod from carbon monoxide poisoning. It is believed that the cause of death came when he brought his BBQ into the tent, where it released poisonous fumes which were not detected until too late.
  • Gyrn Goch tent death ‘modern’ poisoning from BBQ fumes – A 34-year-old woman died from carbon monoxide poisoning at a family gathering when the smoldering coals in her barbeque gave off enough gas to fill up their camping tent.
  • Kimberley Dorrington’s barbecue had a fatal effect when she tried to save some electricity by bringing it into her tent. She died from CO poisoning and left behind an armless partner who will have to live for the rest of his life without one of their arms.
  • The Crantock campers had a narrow escape from CO poisoning after their daughter became unconscious and the father couldn’t rescue his family by himself. In fact, if he hadn’t woken up to get help when he did, it would have been difficult for them all! The cause: they lit a BBQ inside of their tent.
  • It’s been announced that the sudden death of a 50-year-old man at the New Forest campsite was caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. This time, gas BBQs were said to be involved in this tragedy because they emit CO when used inside tents and other enclosed spaces.

So what’s to be done?

“Camping is a great way to spend time with friends and family. But we need to make sure they’re safe while camping, or else it won’t be as fun! Campsite Owners and Managers – Please Take Action

Create your own warning poster

If you have the opportunity, please hang a warning poster in places where campers will see it. This way they can be prepared for any possible emergency and know what to do if anything happens.

Further Information on Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – Symptoms

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is called the ‘silent killer’ as it can’t be detected by humans, with poisoning often happening when people go to sleep.

If you have been burning a disposable BBQ or using other camping cooking equipment within an enclosed space, such as a tent, and you have had headaches recently that don’t seem to get better no matter what time of day they happen – then chances are good that could mean mild Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Other indicators of CO poisoning:

  • Feeling sick
  • Being sick
  • Confusion and tiredness
  • Stomach pain
  • Shortness of breath

Sometimes it may be confusing with food sickness or even the flu because its symptoms are similar to either one, such as nausea and dizziness.

The symptoms are often overlooked and mistaken for the flu or other illness until it’s too late.

  • Babies and young children
  • Pregnant women
  • People with chronic Heart disease
  • People with asthma and other respiratory problems